top of page
Orgill_OBE-SUM24-Key Media-Digital Ad970x90 (May web)

Dec 8, 2023

October building permits increase

The total value of building permits in Canada increased 2.3 percent from September to $11.2 billion in October, led by gains in the non-residential sector, says Statistics Canada. On a constant dollar basis, the total value of building permits was up 2.2 percent to $6.4 billion. The total monthly value of residential building permits edged up 0.6 percent to $7.1 billion in October, following a 2.8 percent gain in September. Gains in residential permit values for Ontario (+7.4 percent), Alberta (+14.8 percent) and Quebec (+7.0 percent) offset declines in the remaining seven provinces. Year-over-year residential construction intentions were up 16.1 percent in October compared with October 2022. Across Canada, 18,100 new dwellings in multi-unit buildings and 4,600 new single-family dwellings were authorized. 


The total value of non-residential sector permits increased 5.3 percent to $4.1 billion in October, with gains being concentrated in Ontario (+16.0 percent). This was attributable to a significant increase in construction intentions in the institutional component (+29.2 percent to $1.4 billion). 

Sign up for our Daily News Alerts to receive relevant industry news, articles, and previews for our next issue of Home Improvement Retailing. Delivered directly to your inbox. Subscribe here.

bottom of page